Attorney Thomas G. Smith
Helping Clients in Virginia & Washington, D.C.
Tom Smith has focused his practice on medical malpractice cases involving serious injury or death for over thirty years. For seventeen years he defended doctors and hospitals on behalf of insurance companies, but since 1996 Tom's practice has been dedicated exclusively to representing patients and their families who have been injured or killed due to doctor or hospital errors. Tom has received many honors recognizing his skill and ability in trial litigation. He is an AV-rated lawyer by Martindale Hubbell, the highest rating by peers possible for professional and ethical standards.
Award-Winning Legal Counsel
Each year since 2006, Tom has been named as one of the Best Lawyers in America in the field of plaintiff's medical malpractice law. On three occasions in 2012, 2015, and most recently in 2019, Tom was named the Washington D.C. Metro Area Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers. He has also been named a Virginia and Metro D.C. Super Lawyer in the field of medical malpractice law every year since 2007. Only 5% of the lawyers in Virginia achieve the Super Lawyer status. Tom has also been named by both Washingtonian and Northern Virginia Magazine as a top lawyer in plaintiff's medical malpractice law. Finally, Tom has been named as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the American Trial Lawyers Association.
More important to Tom than these honors is the satisfaction he feels when he achieves a successful result for his client. Obviously, not every case is won, but all are fought with a dedication to the client.
Tom is a graduate of the University of North Carolina and its School of Law (J.D. 1979; B.A. 1976)
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" 2012, 2015, and 2019, for Medical Malpractice Law, Washington, D.C.
- Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury: Medical Malpractice - 2006 -2021
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Personal Injury, Plaintiff: Medical Malpractice - 2007-2021
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers: Medical Malpractice - 2008-2021
- Recognized by Northern Virginia Magazine as one of the top personal injury lawyers
- Recognized by Washingtonian Magazine as a top plaintiff's medical malpractice attorney
- Received Martindale Hubbell's Highest Rating of AV
- 2020 VADA Civility Award, awarded by the Virginia Association if Defense Attorneys to the Plaintiff's lawyer who best exemplifies professionalism and competence.
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Board of Governors, 2005-2021
- Chair of the Federal Key Contacts Committee, 2005-2007
- Legislative Committee, 2005-2021; Chair 2009-2011
- Chair of Judicial Relations Committee, 2015-2021
- Named to Governor's Payment and Delivery Reform Task Force - 2010
- Member, Trial Lawyers of the District of Columbia
- Co-Author "Expert Review," in Medical Malpractice Law in Virginia in 2017 (4th Edition) and in 2021 (5th Edition)
- North Carolina State Bar, 1979 (inactive)
- Virginia State Bar, 1990
- District of Columbia Bar, 1990
- Fairfax County Bar Association
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1980
- United States Supreme Court, 1986
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 1990
- United States Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit, 1990
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals, 1990
- Supreme Court of Virginia, 1990
Contact our award-winning team of attorneys if you are looking for experienced legal counsel
Best Lawyer of the Year 2019- Thomas Smith
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
Super Lawyers- 10 Years
Best Lawyers- Thomas Smith
Best Lawyer of the Year 2015- Thomas Smith
Best Lawyer of the Year 2012- Thomas Smith
America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum