The warm weather may be a lovely break from winter's chill, but rising temperatures often mean an increase in bike traffic. Biking to work, shopping or simply for pleasure is a wonderful exercise, provided you take proper precautions.
Washington DC Bike Safety Tips
With these spring safety tips, you can reduce your risk of a DC bicycle accident:
- Get a tune-up. Bikes lose more than tire pressure during the winter. Have your cycle tightened, tires pumped and brakes checked before taking to the summer roads.
- Wear sunglasses. A good pair of sunglasses not only helps you see cars and obstacles in bright daylight, but also protects your eyes from gravel, leaves, and other debris thrown by passing cars.
- Listen to the road. Bikers must be aware of the cars, pedestrians and other cyclists around them at all times. Avoid an accident: leave your headphones at home.
- Be seen. Even if you usually only travel in daylight hours, place reflectors on the front and back tires, as well as beneath the seat. Wear bright clothing and a reflective patch on your helmet.
- Be prepared. Sudden changes in weather can affect the road surface. Watch out for leaf piles, unexpected frost, or deep puddles.
Talk To a Bicycle Accident Lawyer For More Information
No matter what the weather, bicycle riders will always be at a higher risk for injury in an accident. If you have been in a bike crash with a motorist, get help from a trusted Fairfax bicycle accident lawyer. Call Shevlin Smith today at (703) 721-4233 for a free consultation.