You’ve just been involved in a serious collision on 495. A tractor trailer side swiped your vehicle, causing your car to flip on its side. To make matters worse, other cars on the road were unable to stop and hit your car as well, causing you major injuries. The ambulance was called and is transporting you to Inova Fairfax Hospital.
Along with pain, you begin to feel a sense of relief, knowing you’re getting care from talented and experienced medical professionals. However, if you knew the truth about those whom you trust with your life, you may feel differently.
Startling Facts About Medical Mistakes
People die every day because of medical mistakes. Often, these mistakes are preventable. Lack of experience, poor working conditions, not enough sleep, and pressure to work too quickly are some of the reasons why. According to the Journal of Patient Safety, incidents of medical mistakes are on the rise. Before you put your life in another doctor’s hands, take a look at these shocking numbers:
- Around 400,000 lives are claimed each year because of medical mistakes
- Preventable medical errors are the third-leading cause of death in the United States, falling behind heart disease and cancer
- Medical errors cost the nation $1 trillion each year
- About 1,000 people die each day because of doctor error
- Approximately 10,000 serious complications result from the medical errors that occur each day
Unfortunately, the problem is only getting worse. The number of lives taken by medical mistakes increases each year. With the high number of fatalities, chances are you or someone you know will suffer because of a doctor’s negligence.
Shevlin Smith Can Help
To err is human, but doctors should be held to higher standards. After all, we trust them with our lives. If you were the victim of medical negligence, contact the attorneys of Shevlin Smith. We will do all we can to fight for your rights and help you receive the justice and compensation you deserve.