There are several hospitals in the Fairfax and Northern Virginia areas, such as the Inova Women’s Hospital and the Carilion Clinic, that have special programs that specialize in high-risk births and fetal care. The trick is finding the right one that will suit your needs.
Care Qualities Essential for At-Risk Deliveries
Some hospitals have more experienced in delivering at-risk babies than others, and choosing the right one may make a big difference in your delivery. When searching for the best hospital for your delivery, make sure you research the birthing center beforehand, to make sure it satisfies all of the requirements for a safe at-risk delivery. When researching hospitals, try to make sure the doctors and staff have adequate knowledge can reasonably answer the following questions.
- What is their birth rate (how many babies are delivered each year in their center or by your specific doctor)?
- How many at-risk pregnancies the facility or the doctor cared for?
- Does the hospital have special delivery rooms for at-risk deliveries?
- What does the hospital’s neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) look like, and how well is it maintained?
- Are the hospital's doctors experienced in infant injuries and how to combat problems?
- Have any of the hospital's doctors or obstetricians ever been accused of medical malpractice?
- Are the delivery rooms comfortable and well stocked in case of an emergency?
- What is the protocol for caesarean sections or other alternatives when a mother or baby is in distress during delivery?
- Do you feel comfortable putting your health and your baby’s health in the care of this hospital and its staff?
Making this decision could affect not only your comfort while giving birth, but could invariably affect the health of your baby, so don’t make it lightly; take your time and make sure you thoroughly research the hospital before making your choice. Your and your baby’s wellbeing are the most important aspects of a delivery, don’t put something that vital in the hands of a mediocre doctor, especially when you can do better.
Do you feel that your delivery was compromised by incompetent or negligent doctor? Was your baby injured as a result? Contact us today for a free consultation and review of your case to discuss whether or not you, your child, and your family deserve medical compensation for delivery malpractice. Don’t hesitate to call; we’re here to help you and your child get the justice you both deserve.
Know someone who is having a rough time deciding which hospital will be the best choice for her delivery? Please, feel free to share this page with her via email, Facebook, or Twitter, to help her know what to look for and demand for a safe birth.