Motorcyclists often love the freedom they get on their motorcycles. However, this same freedom leaves motorcyclists unprotected during the most severe situations. Motorcyclists suffer catastrophic and fatal injuries at a higher rate than others involved in passenger vehicle crashes. Here are some of the stats you should know about these collisions:
- Over 5,000 motorcyclists suffered fatal injuries in crashes in 2019.
- Motorcycle accidents have some of the worst injuries, sometimes causing more than one in each incident. Here’s how percentages break down:
- Lower extremity injuries – 47%
- Upper extremity injuries – 40%
- Head injuries – 35%
- Chest injuries – 31%
- Spine injuries – 20%
- Abdominal injuries – 15%
- Face injuries – 10%
- Roughly 65% of motorcyclists use a helmet, which is one of the very few ways motorcyclists can protect themselves in a collision.
- Fatalities increased 11% from 2019 to 2020. This wasn’t the only increase, as motorcycle accident deaths increased 20% over the decade before.
- Most motorcycle accidents occur in urban areas, during clear or cloudy weather (not raining), and equally during daytime and nighttime.
What You Should Know About Your Rights
After a motorcycle accident, it’s imperative to recognize your rights to pursue compensation. When someone else is responsible for your injuries, you deserve to hold negligence accountable. Working with a lawyer can increase your chances of obtaining the most favorable outcome and help your move forward following a severe injury.
Motorcyclists can suffer some of the worst injuries that can impair them for their entire lives. You should know how to seek economic and non-economic compensation that covers all your losses and expenses.
Our team at Shevlin Smith will be there for you throughout the process to safeguard you when it matters most. Trust that our Fairfax motorcycle accident attorneys go above the call of duty to put your best interests first. Ready to have a skilled legal professional give you a voice? Trust in our team!
Call us today at (703) 721-4233, and we will be by your side every step of the way.