Time does not heal all wounds. Spinal cord injuries can be devastating and often lead to paralysis. Paralysis changes life forever. As a victim of a complete spinal cord injury resulting in paralysis, you may wonder what your future will be like. What will you need to function? What can be done to help you make sense of your new normal? What expenses can you expect? Spinal cord injuries can be debilitating with wide reaching effects to every facet of life. The costs of your injury do not end when you leave the hospital. Spinal cord injuries for those living in Virginia or Washington DC can easily exceed one million dollars for a lifetime of care. While actual costs may vary, the needs may include the following:
- Home health care or assisted living facilities
- Additional/ongoing surgeries
- Rehabilitation services which may include physical therapy to help improve mobility, occupational therapy to learn basic skills in a new way, and speech therapy for those with paralysis of the faceMedical equipment, possibly including wheelchairs, hoists, lift chairs, and other aids
- Medication and pain management copays and alternative medicine not covered by insurance
- Home renovations to make it wheelchair accessible. You may need ramps, bars, lower counters and sinks, wider doorways, bathroom renovations, doorknobs, etc.
- Vehicle modifications or arranged transportation
- Lesser paying occupation or time lost from work
- Psychologists and neuropsychologists to address ongoing cognitive, emotional, and behavioral issues.
Victims of spinal cord injuries have ongoing needs that can seem financially insurmountable. Most complete spinal cord injuries are the result of someone else’s negligence. If you or a loved one are dealing with a spinal cord injury in Virginia that was not your fault, contact our Fairfax spinal cord injury lawyers at Shevlin Smith. We can help get you the compensation you deserve. Call us at 703.591.0067 today.