Unfortunately, this is not always the case. To discourage the number of medical malpractice lawsuits in Virginia, the state has placed a limit on how much a victim can recover for bodily injury or wrongful death due to negligence.
How much can victims of hospital negligence in Virginia be awarded?
- If the victim was injured between July 2008 and June 2012, he may receive a maximum of $2 million.
- The maximum amount will increase by $50,000 per year starting in 2012.
- The maximum amount of punitive damages is capped at $350,000.
A few costs that can quickly deplete your hard-earned settlement:
- Medical tests (x-rays, scans, blood testing)
- Corrective surgeries
- Follow-up medical appointments
- Inpatient hospital stays
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Past due bills
- Household costs relating to your injury
The attorneys at Shevlin Smith have built their practice on helping people just like you to get justice in their DC medical malpractice cases. Call us today at (703) 591-0067 to get started on your free consultation. We’ll also send you a FREE copy of our book, Do I Have A Case? A Patient's Guide to Virginia Medical Negligence Law.