December is officially Safe Toys and Gifts Awareness Month. And with the holidays here and the season of giving, you should be sure to know the best ways to give to those you love. Of course, there is always a risk with certain gifts, but you should pay close attention to what you are giving and how they may cause harm.
How Can I Participate?
Participating in Safe Toys and Gifts Awareness Month means ensuring you follow guidelines that keep your loved ones safe, no matter their age.
- Check all toys and gifts before you buy them to ensure they are free of defects and problems that can create choking hazards or other hazards.
- Know who you are purchasing for and what is appropriate for age ranges. You never want to buy an item for a child when they are not within the target demographic.
- Understand what materials are on the gifts. Lead can be on toys, and exposure can result in poisoning, especially for children who may try to eat the toy.
- Give soft toys and those without small pieces to avoid a choking hazard or something that can harm your child or loved one.
- Include safety equipment whenever you give a gift involving sports or recreation. For instance, if you give someone baseball gear, make sure you include a helmet and other safety equipment to prevent harm.
Unfortunately, some companies manufacture products incorrectly. They have defects that can cause significant injuries, and the problems only heighten around the holidays as people give more gifts to their families and friends.
At Shevlin Smith, we work to help you get the results you need. Our goal is to safeguard your rights and pursue the maximum compensation you deserve. When you need to hold negligence accountable, our Fairfax injury attorneys will be there by your side.