Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Individuals And Families Throughout Virginia And D.C.
A serious injury or the loss of a loved one can create an emotional impact that reverberates through every area of your life. In addition to feelings of grief, helplessness and anger, you may face looming financial difficulties that have the potential to last a lifetime. In these troubling times, Shevlin Smith, P.C., is here to help.
We help individuals and families who have suffered the harmful effects of negligence, malpractice and wrongdoing. We can work to hold the responsible party accountable for their actions, pursuing financial compensation that can cover your medical bills, ongoing treatment, lost wages and even emotional trauma. We’ve built our reputation on credibility and capability, offering personalized, uncompromising legal representation and a proven track record of winning results.
Our Primary Practice Areas
Personal injury law encompasses a wide range of injuries that are caused by negligent or wrongful conduct. In Virginia and Washington, D.C., a person who has suffered such an injury may be able to pursue compensation from the responsible party. Our Fairfax personal injury attorneys have over 70 years of combined legal experience and use this to help the injured recover fair settlements and awards.
Our primary areas of practice in this field include:
- All types of traffic accidents, including truck accidents, motorcycle accidents and car accidents
- Medical malpractice, which may include any injuries or losses of life caused by substandard medical care; for example, birth injuries, medication errors and surgical malpractice
- Catastrophic injuries, which have a lasting effect on a victim’s life; for example, brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, paralysis, severe burns and amputation
- Wrongful death, which involves a loss of life caused by negligence or wrongdoing; for example, a drunk driver who fatally strikes a pedestrian
Our Virginia personal injury attorneys understand how daunting the legal process can be. With this in mind, we are capable of handling every aspect of your case, offering compassionate, personalized guidance every step of the way. No matter the complexity or seriousness of your case, we can provide you with the sound legal counsel and uncompromising representation you need. Our team is happy to sit down with you to discuss the details of your case and work toward an optimal outcome.
Our attorneys are ready to help you! Begin your case today by scheduling a free consultation.
Contributory Negligence In Virginia
Five states use a contributory negligence law in considering personal injury cases, including Virginia. It is considered contributory negligence when a plaintiff fails to exercise reasonable care in their safety, and the damages were caused at least in part by this. An important thing to consider with this law is that even if you had the smallest role to blame in the issue, you will not be able to recover any damages whatsoever. An example of this would be if you were hit by a car that ran a stop sign, and you were looking in your rearview mirror to comb your hair. Since you were distracted, you could be found partially at fault.
If you are unsure if any of your actions could be to blame for contributing to the accident, speak to a Virginia personal injury attorney today.
Empowering You With Our Knowledge
At Shevlin Smith, P.C., we strive to educate and prepare each client we represent. We want you to know your rights, what legal options area available to you and how to use our knowledge to make the right decisions for you and your family. Below are a few common questions and concerns personal injury clients ask and need to know.
What Is A Personal Injury Lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer is an attorney who provides legal services to those who have been injured, physically, psychologically or economically due to the negligence of another person, company, government agency or any other entity. Personal injury lawyers specialize in tort law and civil wrongs that usually involve unintentional misconduct – like a car accident, dog bite or slip-and-fall – or intentional conduct like an assault.
At Shevlin Smith, P.C., we understand what you are going through and will work hard to ensure you get the justice you deserve. Contact us today for more information about our Fairfax personal injury attorneys. We look forward to hearing from you!
How Can A Personal Injury Attorney Help You?
Having a reputable attorney by your side during this time is essential for providing you with the legal support and guidance that you need. Personal injury claims can be extremely complicated.
An experienced attorney will know the ins and outs of the legal system and will have worked with many individuals facing a similar struggle to yours. Your lawyers will be able to help ensure that you avoid costly mistakes and that you receive maximum compensation for your personal injury claim.
A personal injury attorney will:
- Take care of the paperwork: There is a great amount of paperwork involved with personal injury cases. Your attorney will handle the paperwork for you, and ensure that everything gets to the appropriate parties, at the right time.
- Save you time and money: A single mistake on your paperwork or throughout your personal injury case process can cost you both time and money. Having an experienced lawyer by your side who knows what he or she is doing is critical for preventing you from making costly mistakes.
- Maximize compensation: Your attorney will have the experience necessary to effectively communicate and negotiate with insurance companies, and ensure that compensation is maximized.
- Provide legal guidance: Having access to objective legal advice is crucial during this time. Your attorney will be able to answer any questions that you have regarding the legal concerns of your case and provide you with the guidance that you need.
- Offer emotional support: Going through a personal injury case can be extremely stressful. Knowing that you have an experienced attorney by your side can help to alleviate stress levels and provide you with the emotional reassurance that you need.
- Effectively represent you: In the case that you need to go to court, your lawyer will be able to effectively represent you and ensure that you receive the best possible outcome for your case. Your attorney is truly your best advocate.
When Should I Reach Out To A Personal Injury Attorney?
If you or a loved one has been injured, it is important to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. There are deadlines for filing personal injury claims – known as the statute of limitations – and if you miss these deadlines, you will be unable to pursue legal action against the party responsible for your injuries.
For most personal injury cases in Virginia, the statute of limitations is two years from the date of the accident. In some cases, such as medical malpractice claims or wrongful death claims, the statute of limitations may be as short as one year. It is important to speak with an attorney who can determine which deadline applies to your case and take appropriate action accordingly.
The sooner you contact an experienced personal injury lawyer, the better.
Call Shevlin Smith, P.C., Today
You deserve effective and caring legal representation, and the attorneys at Shevlin Smith are prepared to provide this to you and your family. Collectively, our attorneys have over 70 years of legal experience. Our team believes that the fight isn’t over until you’re fully satisfied with the result. Call 703-634-7350 or fill out our online form to schedule a free confidential consultation with us.